Wednesday, January 12, 2011

I prayed for this child

Yesterday was the tenth anniversary of the adoption of our son Philip. I bought all the stuff for banana splits. We eat ice cream for dinner and watched a Monk DVD. Philip loves Monk the detective. I felt like he didn't really understand what a big deal it was to be adopted...to have a family. But when I prayed with him at bed time he gave me a big, long hug. He squeezed me harder then he ever has. I think at that moment he realized he was one of the blessed. They should all be blessed. Orphans will never be numbers and statistics to me...they have names and they have dreams. Too many of them will wait out their childhood for a family to come. Sadly too few families take the next step, they think about it...but don't follow through. If you had known me 10 years ago, you know I prayed for this child. I cried...I fought, and I prayed. We didn't have the money to adopt. Our oldest daughter had (has) autism. Everyone said "don't you have enough work on your plate"? And Juergen was not convinced. But I prayed. And Juergen either gave in, or got convinced we should adopt. I knew that if Juergen said yes, the money would come. And it did. So prayer is a good place to begin. And it took years to adopt...you have to be willing to start a process that takes years to complete. Why would you take those steps? Because children need families, and they wait for you. All their hopes rest in your faith to pray, fight, and move a mountain of paper. Adoptions do not "just" happen. You have to be willing to step out on that long road that will lead you to your child. I've never regretted the trip. I'm not saying it's been easy...but I have no regrets. I would have regretted not doing it. Where would he be now if he was not with us? I can tell you I'm also one of the blessed. My son gave me a hug that spoke volumes. I praise God for answering my prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment