Thursday, July 2, 2009

Every child deserves an advocate


I went to the kid's Dr today to pickup a pile of referrals. I needed referrals for speech therapy, eye check ups, and heart check ups (as well as other stuff). Philip has to have an MRI on Aug 17th. He has a small brain tumor we are keeping tabs on. It doesn't appear to be anything serious. I'm not too worried about it (yet). I also checked the results of Sarah’s last blood work. I guess I was hoping her Hep B status has changed. It hasn't. She is still Hep B +. Her liver is healthy and I'm glad about that. It may scare you if you knew the amount of work my 3 adoptive kids are. I'm not going to lie and say it's easy. They keep me pretty busy. But my first born daughter (biological daughter) Jessica has autism, had heart issues and has had surgery 6 times for tumors in her ears. The bottom line is kids do not come with a guarantee. Even the perfect ones sometimes get broken. Do not adopt if you want a perfect child...know one is perfect! Adopt if you want to advocate for the needs (social, emotional and physical needs) of your child. And none of us are perfect advocates, but we do all that we can to help them do better. Sometimes all we can do is not enough (my Jessica is still affected by autism despite all my work). But what we give them is so much more then they ever would have received in an orphanage! Every child deserves an advocate.

No comments:

Post a Comment